Our Commitment to Safety and the Environment
We have a unique commitment to the safety of our people and protection of the environment—born out of a tradition of respect for the land and the people, and our spiritual values. These values shape how we do business.
We are committed to maintaining the highest standards of safety and environmental protection both inside and outside the Southern Ute Indian Reservation. We have a specialized team of ten environmental, health and safety (EHS) professionals to help all Growth Fund enterprises with a variety of compliance activities. We also offer a yearly EHS Retreat to all staff.
What We Do
The mission of the Southern Ute Growth Fund Safety and Environmental Compliance Management Group (SECMG) is to ensure that all operations are conducted in a safe and environmentally conscientious manner and to achieve full compliance with existing safety and environmental laws, rules, regulations and performance standards.
SECMG helps SUIT Growth Fund businesses by:
- Conducting periodic compliance audits of existing operations to ensure compliance with permit stipulations, conditions of approval and regulations.
- Responding in a respectful, courteous and timely fashion to all Tribal members and public complaints regarding operations.
- Establishing and maintaining a proactive approach in developing required safety and environmental permits, monitoring and incident reports, and other compliance-related documents.
- Developing policies, guidelines and operating procedures to further define safety and environmental standards for Growth Fund enterprise operations and personnel.
Maintaining open and frequent communications with Tribal government and other regulatory agency personnel.
- Monitoring federal and state rulemaking changes and ensuring compliance with revised regulations.
- Researching and developing “Best Management Practices” and “Best Technology Currently Available” for implementation at operations.
- Providing safety and environmental technical assistance, support and training to Growth Fund enterprise personnel.